The Iranian tourist visa is a short-term authorization that can only be used for tourism purposes. For that reason, it has limited validity and allows foreigners to stay in the country for a specific amount of time (It’s clearly mentioned in the Iranian visa grant notice). However, travel plans can change and foreign visitors may find themselves in need of extending their stay in Iran. Therefore, if you’re planning on staying in Iran for more than the duration of your visa, you have to extend your Iran tourist visa in person. In order to extend Iran visa, you must refer to one of “Police Departments of Alien Affairs”. If it is not possible for you to obtain an Iran visa extension and your visa has expired you will need to pay a fine in order to leave the country.
How long can I stay in Iran with a tourist visa?
The validity of an Iran tourist visa depends on the specific travel duration requested in the visa application form. This travel authorization allows only one stay in Iran for a maximum of 45 days. However, it remains valid for 3 months after its date of issue to allow enough time for visitors to reach Iran.
How can I extend my Iran visa?
Tourist visa holders are offered the chance to extend their Iran visa should the need arise. In fact, Iran visa extension can be achieved in 2 different ways.
Apply for a new visa from abroad
Travelers whose Iran visa is expiring can leave Iran, apply for a new one, and return once it’s granted. Iran online visa is the quickest entry permission to obtain for the country. Most Iran visas are approved within a 3 to 5 days, although applicants should allow up to 10 days — perfect for those who’d enjoy exploring neighboring areas. In addition, There is no limit to the number of visas a specific foreigner can obtain for Iran, as long as they always meet the Iran visa requirements and their visa’s terms and conditions.
Extend a visa while in Iran
There is also the option of extending Iran visa in person while remaining in Iran. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to do so online. Therefore you need to find the nearest “Police Department of Alien Affairs” go there to extend your visa. You’d better to go there early in the morning, 3 or 4 days before the expiration of your visa. You can only request for a visa extension if you arrive just a few days before your visa expires. Otherwise if you visit the department way in advance, you might be sent away. You can extend your visa up to maximum twice (this means a maximum of 90 days in Iran). But Iran visa extension is subject to authorities’ approval. Extending the visa costs around 5-15 EUR worth of Rials for various fees.
You’d better to prepare yourself to answer several questions as below:
- Why do you want to extend your visa?
- What is the purpose of your trip to Iran? (tourism or work)
- Where have you been during your trip to Iran?
- How many more days do you need to stay in Iran?
- What is your travel plan?
- Where are you staying? (which hotels)
- What is your job?
Documents required to extend Iran visa in person are:
- Your passport
- 2 copies of your passport
- 1 copy of your Iranian visa
- A copy of the payment receipt (350,000 IRR plus about 50,000 IRR to buy a folder and for photocopies)
- 2 Copies of the completed visa extension form
- 2 Passport-sized photos
- You must bring your passport-sized photos.
- Women have to be wearing the headscarf in this photo.
- If you do not have passport-sized photos, there are usually small shops nearby the buildings. So you can take your passport-sized photos which may costs around 1-2 Euros.
- You should pay the visa extension money in cash.
- You should do the payment in “Melli Bank” and bring back the receipt.
- Don’t worry if they don’t know English for doing the payment in Melli Bank. Just say Visa, and they will help you.
How many times can I extend my visa?
You can extend your visa for Iran up to 2 times, for an additional 60 days. So if you extend your Iran visa twice, then you can stay in Iran for a total of 90 days.
How much does it cost to extend Iran visa?
Each visa extension will cost between 5-10 EUR. It’s approximately 3,000,000 IRR plus about 500,000 IRR to buy a folder and for photocopies in local currency.
How long does it take to extend Iranian visa?
If you start the Iranian visa extension process early in the morning you might get the extension on the same day. The extending process of Iran visa usually takes between 1-4 hours. Otherwise, they keep your passport and you come back the next day and your extension is ready! The police offices are usually crowded. Besides; in some cities like Mashhad there are a lot of Afghan and Pakistani people looking for residence permit extensions. If it is possible, ask a local to help you with the Iran visa extension process. It definitely helps.
Important tips for extending Iran visa
- Dress properly when visiting the immigration police offices.
- Smile! Try to be nice to the person attending to you. This way they might offer you extra help or give you what you need faster.
- Visit the office early in the morning. The offices are usually very crowded so go there in the morning and start the process faster.
- Be prepared to answer some related questions to your trip.
- Prepare yourself for a chaotic visa office that’s full of people.
- Be prepared to name the cities you want to visit in Iran
- Do not to mention that you’re staying or have ever stayed in a residential property in Iran as the authorities are very strict about this.
- Be prepare to quote names of hotels in the other cities you’ve visited previously to further convince the officials.
- Mentioning that you are a reporter or journalist (or other sensitive job positions) might complicate your visa extension.
where can I extend my Iranian visa?
In order to extend your visa, you must refer to Immigration offices across Iran. Below you can find a list of Immigration Offices located in Iran’s major cities. The offices are open from Saturday to Wednesday, 7:30 AM – 2 PM
Extend Iran visa in Tehran
Most travelers prefer to extend Iran visa in Tehran, as it’s the capital city.
Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Tehran:
Address: Tehran, Sattarkhan St., Shahr Ara St., No.33
Phone: +9821 6693 6555
Extend Iran visa in Shiraz
Shiraz is the most popular place for extending Iran visa, as a result of being the easiest place to obtain a long hassle-free extension.
Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Shiarz:
Address: Fars Province, Shiraz, Modarres boulevard
Phone: +9871 3725 0028
Extend Iran visa in Isfahan
The visa extension process in Isfahan can be done in a single morning at the Immigration & Passport Police Head Office located along Rudaki Street.
Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Isfahan:
Address: Isfahan Province, Isfahan, Rudaki Bypass
Phone: +9831 218 4547
Extend Iran visa in Yazd
Yazd is worth a try too although it may not be a same-day process.
Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Yazd:
Address: Yazd, Ferdowsi Street
Phone: +98903 238 4850
Extend Iran visa in Mashhad
Mashhad is the best place for Afghan nationals to renew Iran visa which is easier than applying for it in the capital.
Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Mashhad:
Address: Razavi Khorasan Province, Mashhad, Pirouzi Blvd
Phone: +9851 3822 5280
Extend Iran visa in Tabriz
Tabriz is not the best place to get your Iranian visa renewed since many travelers have been rejected when they wanted to apply for a visa extension.
Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Tabriz:
Address: Tabriz, Saeb Tabriz Street
Phone: +9841 2182 5118
Extend Iran visa in Qom
Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Qom:
Address: Qom, Golha Blvd
Phone: +9825 3772 3838