Top Tips for Solo Female Travelers before Travelling to Iran
A mosaic of history, cultural, adventure, and modern urbanity, Iran is a lively and momentous travel destination where you can sense the old, the new, and everything in between.
While traveling Middle East marvels might become a bit overwhelming for women travelers at first, it’s imperative to get the cultural clues correct in order to reduce the hassles and potential problems.
As a solo female traveler, you should not only take the safety in your own hands but also be prepared for the adventure. Here are top safety tips for solo female travelers for their Trip to Iran:
- Dress Conservatively: Modesty is the best Virtue
Iran is an Islamic and conservative country, so, you must dump your hot shorts and strappy tank tops! Women are expected to dress up modestly, covering body and hair by wearing loose-fitting, manto (with a sleeve that covers arms), long pants and long skirts. It’s better to wear a modest outfit in order not to draw negative attention from the crowd. Iranian people are very friendly and welcoming toward tourists, so, making that extra effort to cover up not only improves your impression on the local people, but also it gives off the message that you respect their culture, cutting short any negative, demeaning attention.
- Find yourself a safe hotel: A Home away from Home
If travelling alone, it’s best to consider hotels that have security checks at all entrances and are generally deemed safe. In fact, the country of Iran is flooded with a number of safe, comfy, family-owned three-star hotels where the staff are not only warm and welcoming, but also they look out for you once they get to know you! They can become your home-away-from-home.
- Most of hotels ask for your passport and they will keep it till your check-out.
- You’d better always carry your hotel’s business card (Which is written in Persian language) when you go sightseeing. It’s a quick and easy way to get home in case you’re lost in the warren of streets. Simply hand the car to any cab driver and you’ll be home safe in a flash.
- Book Local Female Guides: The Best Way to Explore Iran
While we appreciate your choice and bold attitude to travel the world on your own, it’s always a good idea to partner with a local female tour guide. While Iran is mostly a safe and welcoming country, it is recommended not to stroll alone at some places after the sunset. So, at such times, it’s better to be accompanied by a trusted local guide than moving alone. Plus, they can also give you some valuable insights about the rich Persian culture and history.
- Transportation Secret for Women
Because Iran is a Muslim country, the front part of public buses or metro is reserved exclusively for women. It’s an amazing experience to mingle solely with the local women who will come up and talk to you, laughing shyly. Female travelers can easily ride in the “female” compartments in public transportations such as shuttle buses and metro as you will be greeted with flooding smiles and invariably be offered a seat. You can also easily use online taxis such as Snapp and Tap30 (exactly like Ubber) and pay the service fee in cash.
Get more information about popular transportation means in Iran.
- Mark Your Territory: Be an Aware Woman Traveler
As a woman travelling solo in Iran, it is always wise to research properly about the places you’ll be visiting and get an idea about what it’d be like to travel through them alone. While the internet is undoubtedly the best place to get started for your research process, take out some time to visit government sites, travel blogs, and public forums to learn about the concerned places.
- Learn the Persian names of the tourist places you intend to visit beforehand. While Iranians are known for being helpful and friendly, doing so will empower you to be more independent in your travel endeavors and help you avoid overly intrusive locals insisting on guiding you.
- Contacting a reliable travel consultant or travel agency in Iran is the best choice for receiving valid and up-to-date information.
Contact our Iran travel experts to get free consultation.
With the above measures taken properly, Iran could turn out to be one of the safest destinations for female travelers. Also, you should always inform your partner, spouse, or family members back home about your travel plans, so they can rest assured of your safety and well-being.